Updated: Apr 25
Temperature are soaring high this weekend and specially this sunday I saw people are taking a break from there boring routine to do some kind physical activities. It's nice to see people back on street in this dooms days period. Yes social distancing is the key to fight this Pandemic. Well now we started feeling and taking our life to new direction, taking break to meet our family, chatting with friends and many of you are inclined towards the healthy lifestyle cooking.
Well here I am presenting one drink which is quite refreshing and many people are quite familiar with it - 'Mojito' or 'Lemonade' , but I am giving a little twist and presenting you the most favourite, flavourful, refreshing and street side drink which we call it 'NIMBU PAANI' or 'SHIKANJI' or 'INDIAN MASALA LEMONADE'.
Lets see the Ingredients and preparation technique.
INGREDIENTS (for 400ml glass of water):
1. 2 Green Lemon
2. 1 Inch chunk of ginger (grate it for taking out juice)
3. 1/2 teasp of Black Salt
4. 1 teaspoon of coriander powder
5. 1 Tablespoon of sugar or To skip sugar can add Honey.
6. 1 teaspoon of Roasted cumin powder (key ingredient)
7. 400 ml of water or Soda water
8. Ice cubes as per the preference
9. 6 to 7 fresh mint leaves
PREPARATION TECHNIQUE :
1. Take lemon and roll it over the smooth surface with little press to soften it, so that the juices can come out easily. Cut the lemon and squeeze the juice in the glass of your preference.
2. Add black salt, coriander powder, roasted cumin powder, Ginger juice.
3. Take the mint & chopped coarsely or crush gently to release out the mint flavor and then add it to the glass.
4. Add crushed ice cubes as per your preferences. Gently mix the ingredient to dissolve the honey or sugar.
5. Top it up with water or Soda.
Store it in fridge for at least for 4 to 5 days.
Here we go the Masala Nimbu Paani or Masala Lemonade or Indian Mojito. This is so simple but it has some of benefits you may not have known.
Digestion : Lemon are rich in pectin and ascorbic acid both are said to helps in digestion. Specially in summer when we go binge eating, Nimbu paani help in digesting all the food.
Nutrient Boost : Nimbu pani is bomb of nutrients and it is said that Gingerol, the bioactive compound in fresh ginger, can help lower the risk of infections. According to the book, Healing Foods by DK Publishing, "its active constituent gingerol has analgesic, sedative, antipyretic and antibacterial effects."
Natural Coolant : Shikanji or Nimbu pani is a natural coolant especially in summer which helps is balancing the nutrients when temperature soars. It help in preventing the loss of Sodium and Iron due to excessive sweating.
Weight Loss : If you watch the salt content in the nimbupani then this will act as a natural way to reduce weight. Pectin fibers in the lemon helps in 'Weight Loss' during long run if you practice it daily. Lemon juice is a natural cleanser and are having detox properties while ginger has digestion properties, all these helps in weight loss.
I am sure this topic or recipe will help you to understand the Indian typical street side drink very well. Try this magical drink at home and prepared it and store it for later use as well.